Rarely vs Seldom
Vocaboly.com Forum Index Vocaboly.com
Vocabulary builder software for SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT and more
 
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
This forum is read-only. If you want to ask English questions, please visit Learn English Forum.
Rarely vs Seldom
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Vocaboly.com Forum Index -> alt.usage.english
Author Message
John Dean
Guest





Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rarely vs Seldom Reply with quote

Laura F. Spira wrote:
Quote:
John Dean wrote:

Troy Steadman wrote:

Michael Nitabach wrote:

"John Dean" <john-dean@frag.lineone.net> wrote in


And I see "seldom" and "rarely" as near synonyms.

Same here.

Near synonyms don't exit. If your wife was nearly a virgin when you
met her, if you nearly catch your plane....


"nearly a virgin" isn't a synonym for anything. "Near synonyms"
aren't phrases that include the word "near" or "nearly"

Either they are synonyms or there is some nuance between them.


Of course there's a nuance. That's why they're near. My wife was
virgin. My wife was chaste.
I met her. I encountered her.
I replied to your post. I responded to it. I answered it.

Yes, but you missed the most important statement. Near synonyms are,
apparently, always with us. They never leave. They remain. They stay.

I agree. I concur. I am grateful, thankful, obliged ...
--
John "I have to stop this ..." Dean
Oxford
Back to top
Charles Riggs
Guest





Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rarely vs Seldom Reply with quote

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:03:03 -0400, Robert Lieblich
<robert.lieblich@verizon.net> wrote:


Quote:
(1) To be fair, the good old Concise Oxford, which is so concise as to
be nearly useless,(2) takes the same absolutist view you do. But maybe
it's just being concise.

If that's being fair what are you like when being unfair? The COD is
the first place I go to look up a definition. If I want more, I'll go
to the OED or, especially if I want an American slant on things, to
M-W's Collegiate. Am I doing something wrong?

Challenge: name two commonly-used, interesting English words which are
exact, and I meant exact, synonyms. My bet is you can't do it. By
interesting, I mean words other than "yes", "and", "but", "seldom",
and so forth. I'm not likely to argue interesting if you come up with
a pair for I think we all know what interesting means, in this
context.
--
Charles Riggs
Back to top
Charles Riggs
Guest





Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rarely vs Seldom Reply with quote

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 04:16:27 +1000, mark
<m.gallagher@student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:

Quote:
While recovering from a recent, uncomfortable transmembrification,
Michael Nitabach (mnitabach@acedsl.com) was heard to remark...
Charles Riggs <chriggs@eircom.net> wrote in
news:1rk6e1tfeol9k1u69vgo2hccf8t9m6pqoj@4ax.com:
("Me too"s were frowned upon in AUE's Golden Age, but Dena Jo
changed
all that. Now they are acceptable.)

I like "me too". What else can you say when that's what you mean? "I,
too"?

You could say nothing. "Me too" adds no new information other than
what one member's opinion is. We all know what opinions are worth.

Quote:
There's two possible reasons. One could be the ever-present comma
nitpickery: mayhap it should be "me, too"?

I don't nitpick; it wasn't that, although if I were a nitpicker I'd
say the comma doesn't belong there.

Quote:
The other, USENET-wide reason, would be that "me too" tends to raise
the hackles of all but the most hackle-less veteran reader. "AOL" is
the preferred term, as although she repeats the initial error of making
a "me too" post, the author is at least making a weak effort at
inserting humour into her post, showing all and sundry that she's aware
of the hackles she's raising.

Yes, that's it. Similarly, I'd sometimes append an "AOL" to one of
Dena's many "Me too" or "Thank you ever so much!" posts. Or I'd
comment nastily "This is not a chatroom".

Not surprisingly, Dena, a very nice person in most other respects, was
an AOL member (= out of touch with Internet and newsgroup reality). To
be fair, as Bob Lieblich would say, I don't think she ever came to
understand how a proper newsgroup works.
--
Charles Riggs
Back to top
Robert Bannister
Guest





Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rarely vs Seldom Reply with quote

Jim Lawton wrote:

Quote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:52:52 -0500, seashell9921@webtv.net (seashell) wrote:


What is the difference in meaning/usage between the terms "rarely" and
"seldom"?



My Collins uses "seldom" as its explanation of "rarely" and vice versa. I feel
no difference whatsoever.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that "seldom" is used less often than
"rarely", which would imply some slight difference of tone.
--
Rob Bannister
Back to top
Skitt
Guest





Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rarely vs Seldom Reply with quote

Robert Bannister wrote:
Quote:
Jim Lawton wrote:
(seashell) wrote:

What is the difference in meaning/usage between the terms "rarely"
and "seldom"?
My Collins uses "seldom" as its explanation of "rarely" and vice
versa. I feel no difference whatsoever.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that "seldom" is used less often than
"rarely", which would imply some slight difference of tone.

So, what you are saying is that "seldom" is used seldom, but "rarely" is
used rarely. Got it.
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
www.geocities.com/opus731/
Back to top
Rick Wotnaz
Guest





Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rarely vs Seldom Reply with quote

"Skitt" <skitt99@comcast.net> wrote in
news:2uqdnXjeiMNYQXvfRVn-jw@comcast.com:

Quote:
Robert Bannister wrote:
Jim Lawton wrote:
(seashell) wrote:

What is the difference in meaning/usage between the terms
"rarely" and "seldom"?
My Collins uses "seldom" as its explanation of "rarely" and
vice
versa. I feel no difference whatsoever.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that "seldom" is used less often
than "rarely", which would imply some slight difference of
tone.

So, what you are saying is that "seldom" is used seldom, but
"rarely" is used rarely. Got it.

To me, what he wrote meant was that 'seldom' is rarely used, while
'rarely' is seldom used.

That is to say that in my usage something that *rarely* occurs
happens less often than something that *seldom* occurs. Possibly
for that reason, the term 'seldom' would be more likely to appear
in a text. There are more occurrences of things that seldom happen
than things that rarely happen.

--
rzed
Back to top
Skitt
Guest





Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rarely vs Seldom Reply with quote

Rick Wotnaz wrote:
Quote:
"Skitt" wrote:
Robert Bannister wrote:
Jim Lawton wrote:
(seashell) wrote:

What is the difference in meaning/usage between the terms
"rarely" and "seldom"?
My Collins uses "seldom" as its explanation of "rarely" and
vice
versa. I feel no difference whatsoever.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that "seldom" is used less often
than "rarely", which would imply some slight difference of
tone.

So, what you are saying is that "seldom" is used seldom, but
"rarely" is used rarely. Got it.

To me, what he wrote meant was that 'seldom' is rarely used, while
'rarely' is seldom used.

That is to say that in my usage something that *rarely* occurs
happens less often than something that *seldom* occurs.

That's not what Robert wrote. He said that "seldom" occurred less often
than "rarely".

Quote:
Possibly
for that reason, the term 'seldom' would be more likely to appear
in a text. There are more occurrences of things that seldom happen
than things that rarely happen.

Again, that's not what Robert wrote.
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
www.geocities.com/opus731/
Back to top
Rick Wotnaz
Guest





Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rarely vs Seldom Reply with quote

"Skitt" <skitt99@comcast.net> wrote in
news:DcidnS0QTaHdI3rfRVn-jA@comcast.com:

Quote:
Rick Wotnaz wrote:
"Skitt" wrote:
Robert Bannister wrote:
[...]
Nevertheless, I would suggest that "seldom" is used less
often than "rarely", which would imply some slight difference
of tone.

So, what you are saying is that "seldom" is used seldom, but
"rarely" is used rarely. Got it.

To me, what he wrote meant was that 'seldom' is rarely used,
while 'rarely' is seldom used.

That is to say that in my usage something that *rarely* occurs
happens less often than something that *seldom* occurs.

That's not what Robert wrote. He said that "seldom" occurred
less often than "rarely".

Exactly. So he said that 'seldom' occurs rarely, while 'rarely'
occurs seldom (that is, less rarely), as I wrote above.

Quote:

Possibly
for that reason, the term 'seldom' would be more likely to
appear in a text. There are more occurrences of things that
seldom happen than things that rarely happen.

Again, that's not what Robert wrote.

True, dat. It was contrary to what he wrote, and actually contrary
to what I thought I was saying. Discussion of what rarely occurs
would seem to happen more often than of what seldom occurs. That's
news reporting, isn't it?

This is difficult because, if Robert is correct, the frequency of
occurrence of 'rarely' or 'seldom' is inverse to the senses of the
terms (in my speech, at least), so whether the sentence refers to
the meaning of the word or the frequency of its usage can be
confusing to such a one as myself.

--
rzed
Back to top
Skitt
Guest





Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rarely vs Seldom Reply with quote

Rick Wotnaz wrote:
Quote:
"Skitt" wrote:
Rick Wotnaz wrote:
"Skitt" wrote:
Robert Bannister wrote:

Nevertheless, I would suggest that "seldom" is used less
often than "rarely", which would imply some slight difference
of tone.

So, what you are saying is that "seldom" is used seldom, but
"rarely" is used rarely. Got it.

To me, what he wrote meant was that 'seldom' is rarely used,
while 'rarely' is seldom used.

That is to say that in my usage something that *rarely* occurs
happens less often than something that *seldom* occurs.

That's not what Robert wrote. He said that "seldom" occurred
less often than "rarely".

Exactly. So he said that 'seldom' occurs rarely, while 'rarely'
occurs seldom (that is, less rarely), as I wrote above.

Possibly
for that reason, the term 'seldom' would be more likely to
appear in a text. There are more occurrences of things that
seldom happen than things that rarely happen.

Again, that's not what Robert wrote.

True, dat. It was contrary to what he wrote, and actually contrary
to what I thought I was saying. Discussion of what rarely occurs
would seem to happen more often than of what seldom occurs. That's
news reporting, isn't it?

This is difficult because, if Robert is correct, the frequency of
occurrence of 'rarely' or 'seldom' is inverse to the senses of the
terms (in my speech, at least), so whether the sentence refers to
the meaning of the word or the frequency of its usage can be
confusing to such a one as myself.

I don't see a difference in the two terms, and I was merely poking fun at
the whole thing and trying to insert a confusion factor. It seems, I
succeeded.

Never mind the whole thing.
--
Skitt (in SF Bay Area)
.... and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
-- Sir Bedevere
Back to top
Robert Bannister
Guest





Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rarely vs Seldom Reply with quote

Skitt wrote:

Quote:
Rick Wotnaz wrote:

"Skitt" wrote:

Robert Bannister wrote:

Jim Lawton wrote:

(seashell) wrote:


What is the difference in meaning/usage between the terms
"rarely" and "seldom"?

My Collins uses "seldom" as its explanation of "rarely" and
vice
versa. I feel no difference whatsoever.


Nevertheless, I would suggest that "seldom" is used less often
than "rarely", which would imply some slight difference of
tone.


So, what you are saying is that "seldom" is used seldom, but
"rarely" is used rarely. Got it.


To me, what he wrote meant was that 'seldom' is rarely used, while
'rarely' is seldom used.

That is to say that in my usage something that *rarely* occurs
happens less often than something that *seldom* occurs.


That's not what Robert wrote. He said that "seldom" occurred less often
than "rarely".

Possibly
for that reason, the term 'seldom' would be more likely to appear
in a text. There are more occurrences of things that seldom happen
than things that rarely happen.


Again, that's not what Robert wrote.

Thank you. I do not agree that there is a meaning difference - at least
not in the circles I have mixed in over the years. But, since "seldom"
(in my opinion, since I don't know how to prove this and don't trust
Google) seems to be used less frequently than "rarely", I assume it has
a very slightly more literary feel to it.

--
Rob Bannister
Back to top
Daniel G. \"Govende\" McG
Guest





Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rarely vs Seldom Reply with quote

On 24 Jul 2005 06:18:48 -0700, "Troy Steadman"
<troysteadman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Quote:

I have three Concise Oxford's stuffed full of notes and I am not about
to ditch them for anything new-fangled. I withdraw "Near synonyms don't
exist" and I accept '"nearly caught the plane" is easily understood by
anyone fluent in English'.

What I do not accept is that people can be sure two words are "nearly"
synonyms without having the remotest inkling of what differentiates
them.

I think "Rarely" picks up a bit of class from Rare=Precious which
This is the point at which I can admit that I have had problems in

dealing with all the various meanings and usages of the word "rare"
since January of 2003 (when my mother told me the story about Dr.
Montazem). Mom claims to only know of two RAREs, in the same way that
I assumed for a long time, but I can now realize that it is a very
confusing lexical item.

This word is not to be confused with "sans". Leave that one to
bezoikin' Omar and Edward.

Quote:
"Seldom" can never achieve. Therein lies the nuance. I would like you
all to have the courage to climb off your fence:

A) The words are synonyms.

...or...

b) This is the nuance between them...

A...? Or...B?

- Daniel al-Autistiqui
--
Daniel Gerard McGrath: a/k/a "Govende"
I have the developmental disability Autism.

To e-mail me, remove the six upper-case letters at
the beginning of my address.
[This signature is under construction.]
Back to top
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Vocaboly.com Forum Index -> alt.usage.english All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB